This award is open to any organisations that set new standards in lowering the carbon footprint impact of their business activities. This category is rewarding entities that are committed to reducing their carbon dioxide, and other greenhouse gas emissions, but will not give credit to those simply offsetting their emissions. The judges will be looking for evidence that the entity is doing their best to reduce and/or eliminate emissions to the greatest extent possible; with the ultimate aim of being ‘carbon neutral’ or, ideally, ‘carbon positive’.
The award will recognise organisations with Scope 1, 2 &3 (GHG Protocol) carbon footprinting; recognising innovative, tangible and verifiable projects that push the boundaries in an effort to reduce their footprint and enhance their environmental sustainability generally. Initiatives will be rewarded for addressing carbon, water and ecological foot-printing as well as truly unique approaches to reducing carbon emissions.
The judges will specifically be looking for evidence of: verifiable carbon dioxide, and other greenhouse gas, emissions reductions achieved through a variety of approaches to reducing overall carbon footprint; the degree of innovation in delivering the initiatives, taking risks to achieve industry best practice; the use of awareness raising to promote carbon reduction efforts amongst staff; integrating employee behaviours and transformative thinking to the wider stakeholder community; and the extent to which the entry is one of a number of activities by the organisation to reduce its environmental impacts.
The time frame for this category is carbon reductions, measured in the absolute as well as percentage reductions, is between 2016-2019.
Judges will be looking for evidence of the following points within the supplied application form (weighting percentages in brackets):
- Has the entity’s commitment to carbon reduction demonstrated true innovation leading the way in creative solutions to eliminate emissions? (25%)
- Has the carbon footprint reduction of the projected been measured? What are the absolute reductions in terms of kg of CO2e saved, as well as the percentage reduction based on the entity’s baseline measured in the last five years? Has the entity adhered to GHG Protocols and/or disclosed them through regulatory bodies such as CDP? (35%)
- Was the project/initiative supported by an awareness raising effort to promote the scheme for employees and engage their support for carbon reduction in workplace practices? (15%)
- Does the scheme have a mechanism to promote longevity of the project to ensure ongoing carbon reductions? If so, when does the entity aim to be carbon neutral? (15%)
- Is the project part of a wider organisational effort to radically reduce carbon emissions and is it supported by senior management and the Board of Directors. Please provide evidence of this. (10%)
Are we eligible to enter?
Our awards programme is open to all organisations of any kind… companies large and small, charities, not-for-profits, social enterprises, NGOs, membership and accreditation organisations and government departments including local and county councils. We are all about rewarding sustainability practice – in all its forms. So if your organisation is making a difference, directly or indirectly to people and planet, you’re eligible.
We don’t just recognise businesses that are operating responsibly, or supporting / partnering with worthwhile causes. We also actively encourage entries from organisations that have been specifically set up or adapted to offer a product or service that tackles a social or environmental problem.
Our category descriptions and criteria have been written to guide entrants on what content should be detailed in their entries. However, we do not expect square pegs to fit in round holes… Some of your business activities or dedicated programmes might not fit entirely with any one specific category. In these cases, the descriptions and criteria are open to an element of interpretation and rest assured that our judges will still take into account entries that are strongly aligned with the overall context of the category.
If you have any concerns about the suitability of your entry, or would like to discuss your activities in more detail, we are here to help. Give Karen a call on 07813 718541 or email: karen@GlobalGoodAwards.co.uk