Replacing the popular ‘Special Judges Award for Innovation’, this category looks to highlight products, services, activities or initiatives across the planet that are tackling, or have the evidenced potential to tackle a key environmental or social issue. They should also be replicable and scalable. They could be something brand new in itself, or a brand new take on how we’ve previously tried to tackle the issue. To make the shortlist, judges will be looking for true game changing impact or potential and you’ll have to clearly and simply explain what issue you are addressing.
To set the scene, judges will require a 100 word introductory description of the initiative, the problem it solves and how. This will not be a scored part of the application, but is essential to enable the judges to evaluate the entry against other criteria.
Word count: 1500 with 10% allowance.
Judges will be looking for evidence of the following points within the supplied application form (weighting percentages in brackets):
- What problem is your ‘Game Changer’ innovation designed to address? Please explain the issue, providing clear evidence of the precise nature of the problem, why it needed solving and what alternative (if any) it is replacing. (20%).
- Tell us why your product, service, activity or initiative is truly a ‘Game Changer’? How will it make progress that has not been made before? Are there similar offerings/solutions in the market/society (globally), and if so, how is yours different? (20%).
- How was it developed, what research, and engagement with target beneficiaries was undertaken, and what did you learn from that? What challenges were overcome? How have you ensured it is both environmentally sustainable and socially just? (20%).
- Describe and provide evidence for the impact it has had and continues to have. If it is an early-stage / pre-market idea, explain what impact you believe it will have, backing up your explanations with evidence or data such as market research. (30%)
- The wider potential for scalability and replicability (10%).
Are we eligible to enter?
Our awards programme is open to all organisations of any kind… companies large and small, charities, not-for-profits, social enterprises, NGOs, membership and accreditation organisations and government departments including local and county councils. We are all about rewarding sustainability practice – in all its forms. So if your organisation is making a difference, directly or indirectly to people and planet, you’re eligible.
We don’t just recognise businesses that are operating responsibly, or supporting / partnering with worthwhile causes. We also actively encourage entries from organisations that have been specifically set up or adapted to offer a product or service that tackles a social or environmental problem.
Our category descriptions and criteria have been written to guide entrants on what content should be detailed in their entries. However, we do not expect square pegs to fit in round holes… Some of your business activities or dedicated programmes might not fit entirely with any one specific category. In these cases, the descriptions and criteria are open to an element of interpretation and rest assured that our judges will still take into account entries that are strongly aligned with the overall context of the category.
If you have any concerns about the suitability of your entry, or would like to discuss your activities in more detail, we are here to help. Give Karen a call on 07813 718541 or email us.