As the proud recipients of the first ever GOLD standard ‘Ethical Awards Trust Mark’, we believe we know a thing or two about running an ethical and transparent awards programme.
Being ethical and transparent…
The Global Good Awards were awarded the Ethical Awards Trust Mark Gold standard because they recognised that
- Entry is open to all organisations with no restrictions.
- Programme timelines, costs, dates, commitments, Ts&Cs and processes are clearly outlined on the website prior to the entry process opening.
- No fees are taken until the final entry has been submitted. Descriptions and criteria are on the public website pages, and, once registered with us, entrants have immediate access to the application form questions without payment being required.
- Entrants can contact us, and expect a quick response, at any time.
- The judging process is fair, transparent and strict with NDAs signed by all judges.
- Judging is scored online using a clear and effective system removing any possible bias or inconsistency.
- All judges are independent and have all judged before. Judges and categories are matched only by their professional experience and no judge will be asked to score a category out of their sector knowledge.
- Although judges can enter their own organisation, they will not take part, be notified or consulted about a category in which they entered. They will also have no commercial interest in the decisions made.
- A free feedback report is emailed to ALL entrants, whether they were finalists or not, immediately after the awards ceremony. If an entrant requests information about the score given to the winner of their category, they will be supplied with the percentage mark for the benefit of benchmarking.
- Finalists are not obliged to attend the awards ceremony, although we encourage them to do so. We try to make the ceremony as accessible as possible to those on tight budgets.
- Winners are announced live on Twitter on the night, and we are one of very few award programmes to publish a full-page promotion of their project on our website that will remain there indefinitely.
- No charge is made for finalists and winners using our logo or widget, which are downloadable from a password protected location on the website.
- Quotes for press releases, winners photos and vox-pop videos are supplied free of charge.
Many folk came up to me on the night declaring either ‘best yet’ if they’d been before, or ‘what a lovely, lively refreshing awards’ if they hadn’t. You’re building something great here, and the Trust Mark is really cool, so keep at it!
Ed Gillespie, co-founder, Futerra ( and GGA Ceremony Host)
We believe that if we are to recognise and reward change across all aspects of purpose driven sustainability and social impact, then we have to ‘walk that talk’ right beside our entrants! We’re working to ensure that everything we do is sustainable; and here’s how:
- We require all our venues, including those that we have meetings in throughout the year, to meet certain sustainable standards or have ethical or social values. Our ceremony hosts often utilise 100% renewable energy and hold Green Tourism accreditations.
- All our marketing materials from 2016 onwards have been environmentally-friendly, using Revive100, a 100% recycled paper from Denmaur, and using Seacourt’seco-friendly printing technology. The paper is also Carbon Balanced through the World Land Trust.
- Our event delegate travel is also Carbon Balanced, and from 2019 we will extend this to becoming a Water Neutral event.
- We work with our venues to deliver a fully vegan menu that can demonstrate that you don’t have the ‘be’ vegan to ‘eat’ vegan. This extends to the wine and beer too.
- We encourage a ‘freshly-eco’ dress code where people wear something sustainably made, something from a charity shop or dig something out from their wardrobe and ‘reuse’.
- We have replaced the traditional and somewhat unsustainable ‘goodie bag’ with an ‘Eco-goodies Market Stall’ – only selecting eco-friendly products from sponsors, partners and entrants that contain no single-use / unrecyclable plastics and allowing attendees to select those goodies they wish to have.
- Unlike many business awards, our trophies are true works of art. Made by one of Britain’s leading contemporary fused glass artists, Siobhan Jones, the beautiful awards are all unique and Siobhan shares the ethos of our awards in her daily life and business. From 2019 our awards will be made from recycled glass and reclaimed wood.